Changes to Billing and collection of my Water Charges

From 2 October 2017, Monmouthshire Housing Association (MHA) will no longer bill and collect your water and sewerage charges. Dwr Cymru Welsh Water will now bill you directly and, wherever possible, keep your existing payment method the same. Welsh Water have been provided with your name and address details so that they can send you your bill. They may need to use these details to contact you for billing queries or in the unlikely event of any operational issues that could disrupt your water supply. Your new water and sewerage bill is likely to arrive no later than the middle of September.

If you are an advocate for a tenant of MHA with additional needs please see the information below that will help you to explain the changes to them. If you have any further queries we will be happy to help you - please call 01495 745770.


Q. Why are MHA no longer billing and collecting my water and sewerage charges?

A. MHA wish to focus on their core business – providing affordable homes and collecting the rent.

Q. I’m not happy to be billed by Welsh Water and still want to be billed by MHA.

A. This is not possible. MHA no longer wish to collect water charges and they will be focusing on collecting rent. 

Q. Will Welsh Water be collecting my rent as well?

A. No, Welsh Water only bill and collect water and sewerage charges.

Q. Can I continue to pay MHA for my water after 2 October 2017?

A. All charges up to 1 October should be paid to Monmouthshire Housing Association, any new charges from 2 October must be paid to Welsh Water.

Q. Will I still be able to pay by Direct Debit?

A. Yes, but you will need to set up a new Direct Debit with Welsh Water. If you were previously paying MHA by Direct Debit, Welsh Water will send you a Direct Debit mandate. Alternatively, you can do this either online by visiting or telephone them on 0800 052 5604.

Q. Will I still be able to pay by Debit Card or Credit Card?

A. Yes, you can do this online or by telephoning the automated payment line on 0800 028 5209.

Q. Will I still be able to pay using my payment card?

A. A new payment card will be issued to you by Welsh Water and you will need to use this payment card to make payments to Welsh Water.   You will still be able to use your existing payment card to your rent to MHA.

Q. Will I still be able to pay through the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP third party deductions)?

A.  Unfortunately No. You will need to contact Welsh Water to make alternative arrangements and ask about schemes available to help people on a low income.

Q. Will I remain on my social tariff?

A. If you are already on WaterSure Wales (previously Welsh Water Assist) or HelpU and your circumstances have not changed then you will remain on this tariff.

Q. When will I receive my new bill from Welsh Water?

A. Your new bill from Welsh Water will arrive no later than mid-September.

Q. Where will I find on my bill how much I owe to Welsh Water?

A. You will find how much you have to pay next to the “TOTAL this bill” section at the bottom of your bill.

Q. Where will I find my Welsh Water customer number?

A. Your customer reference number is in the very top right of your bill. Please have this number handy when you call Welsh Water as they will ask you for it.

Q. I don’t understand what I’m being charged for?

A. Your bill will show a “Water Charge” with an amount, and a “Sewerage Charge” with an amount. These two charges show the amount Welsh Water are charging you for having water, and to take away your waste water, these are your new charges from 2 October 17 to 31 March 18.

Q. I cannot afford to pay my water bill, what can I do?

A. The most important thing you can do is to talk to them right away so that they can find a way to help – the number is 0800 052 0145. There are a number of ways they may be able to help you such as:

  • arranging for you to pay your bill by weekly, fortnightly or monthly instalments
  • or if you meet the following criteria, then you may be eligible for one of our social tariffs:
    • If you have a total household income of less than £15,000 then you may be entitled to our HelpU Tariff. This is tariff caps your annual charge at £190 based upon your annual household income.
    • If you receive certain benefits AND have either three or more children under 19 living with you, for whom Child Benefit is claimed, or someone living with you has a medical condition that requires you to use a significant additional amount of water, then you may be eligible for our WaterSure Wales tariff. You will need to have a meter installed to qualify for this tariff.

Q. Is there a discount for students or people living alone?

A. No, there are no discounts for water and sewerage charges but there are a range of payment options to help spread the cost of your bill.

Q. Would I save money if I changed to a water meter?

A. If you use a small amount of water, then you might benefit from changing to a water meter. It works in the same way as a gas or electricity meter and only charges you for the amount of water you use, plus standing charges. If you would like a water meter please go online to find out more at, or you can call us on 0800 052 0145.

Q. I have already applied for a water meter. What happens next?

A. Your application will continue to be processed and you should have received confirmation that your application has been received and details of next steps.

Q. Who do I contact if I have a problem with my water supply eg. no water, low water pressure, discoloured water?

A. You should continue to call Welsh Water on 0800 052 0130.

Chat Live now!

Live Support

Our advisors are available Monday-Thursday 9am-4:30pm and Friday 9am-4pm.