Now in its 8th year, this week marks Gas Safety Week. Co-ordinated by Gas Safe Register, the week sees organisations across the UK come together to help raise awareness of the importance of gas safety and highlight the dangers associated with unmaintained gas appliances.
With winter just around the corner it will not be long till we are all turning on our heating systems. By taking care of your gas appliances you are taking care of your home. Keep your home warm and minimise the risks caused by faulty gas appliances, such as gas leaks, fires and carbon monoxide poisoning by getting gas appliances checked annually and reporting any problems immediately.
Keeping gas safe is everyone’s responsibility. Here are our top tips for keeping gas safe;
1. Check any gas appliances you own every year. Gas appliances should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer. (MHA will arrange this please make sure you give us access).
2. Check your engineer is Gas Safe registered and qualified for the type of work you need doing. You can find or check an engineer at GasSafeRegister.co.uk or ask to see their Gas Safe ID.
3. Check for warning signs that your appliances aren’t working correctly, such as lazy yellow / orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance, a pilot light that keeps going out and too much condensation in the room.
4. Know the six main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness. Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas that can kill quickly with no warning, as you cannot see it, taste it or smell it.
5. Have an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
6. Know what to do If you smell gas - leave the house, open doors and windows, call us on 0345 677 2277 or phone the National Gas Emergencies number on 0800 111 999 and visit your GP if you begin to feel unwell. If you can do it safely, turn off your gas supply. The gas mains tap should be beside your gas meter. Never delay reporting a leak or restrict access to the property where you reported the gas leak, turn on electric switches, light matches, flames or anything which could cause a spark.
Want to find out more about how we keep our tenants Gas Safe contact us on 0345 677 2277.