Life during the pandemic has been tough, with many of us juggling health concerns and/or having to navigate financial worries too.

The good news is that Welsh Assembly Government have recently announced changes to the Tenancy Hardship Grant.

Did you struggle to pay your rent/rent arrears during COVID (between 1 March 2020 – 31 December 2021) and as a result, you’re now in rent arrears?

The reasons why you may have not been able to pay your rent and now find yourself in arrears could be many and varied. Examples include:

  • Increase in utilities due to spending more time at home
  • Increase in food bills due to dependants spending more time at home (e.g. school closures)
  • Being furloughed or working fewer hours than usual (due to being on a zero-hour contract, or closure of the employer)
  • Only in receipt of Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) whilst isolating or experiencing COVID-19


If you weren’t in receipt of housing related benefits throughout the pandemic, but you struggled to pay rent and fell into arrears, you’re strongly encouraged to apply for the Tenancy Hardship Grant.

If you lost your job during COVID, or experienced a significant income decrease when the Universal Credit uplift was removed, you may be eligible to apply for the Tenancy Hardship Grant. To find out how to apply visit Monmouthshire County Council’s website.

If you’re not sure whether you’re eligible to apply, our friendly Moneywise team are here to help, so please get in touch by calling 0345 677 2277 or emailing

The grant is not bottomless, it’s allocated on a first come basis, so we strongly advise you submit an early application.