Skip to content

Transferring / Swapping your home

Whether you need more (or less) space, to move for work or to be closer to family, it’s a great option for social housing tenants who can’t access or don’t want to wait for the normal allocation process. It gives you more control and means you’re able to choose a home that suits your needs better, in a place you want to live.


HomeSwapper is the UK’s leading mutual exchange* service for social housing tenants and it’s free for MHA tenants to register!


*Please note that as the HomeSwapper website is UK-wide, it still uses the terms ‘Mutual Exchange’ and ‘Tenancy’. In Wales, under the Renting Homes (Wales) Act, these terms have changed to ‘Transfer’ and ‘Contract Holder’.


Yes, you must have written consent from MHA before you move. The person you are exchanging with will also need written consent from their landlord. To request consent email: or call us.

MHA will reasonably consider requests to transfer a Contract.


We will consider if it is reasonable to refuse/accept the request. We will consider a range of issues including if there are or have been any breaches of your Contract i.e. is your rent account up to date or do you have a court order.


The property you wish to exchange to must be appropriate for your household size and needs.

You should only transfer your Contract if you are sure you want to do so. Once you sign to transfer your home, it’s legally binding.

Have you Heard About HomeSwapper? thumbnail
Hide website

Monmouthshire Housing Association Limited is registered in England & Wales and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority as an Industrial and Provident Society with charitable rules Registration No 30087R, and is registered with the Welsh Government as a Registered Social Landlord Registration No L144. Registered Office: Nant-Y-Pia House, Mamhilad Technology Park, Mamhilad, Pontypool, Monmouthshire, NP4 0JJ.
© Monmouthshire Housing 2024
Designed & built by