Skip to content

Page Contents

    If something isn't working as it should or you are concerned about safety in your home, please get in touch.

    Smoke detectors

    Make sure you test your smoke alarm regularly (South Wales Fire & Rescue recommend testing weekly #TestItTuesday) – remember a smoke alarm can only warn you if it is working properly.


    We will carry out a free annual check of your smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors.

    Carbon Monoxide detectors

    Make sure you test your Carbon Monoxide detector monthly to ensure it is working properly.


    We will carry out a free annual check of your smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors.

    Electrical chargers & lithium-ion batteries

    How safe is your bedside table? Do you tend to charge your phone overnight before you go to bed? Maybe you enjoy watching TV on your laptop or tablet in bed – plugged in to keep the screen bright, of course?


    Many of us leave ourselves open to fire risks without even realising. Batteries and electrical chargers can present a fire risk when over-charged, short-circuited, submerged in water or if they are damaged. It’s vital to charge them safely too.


    South Wales Fire and Rescue Services are particularly concerned about the potential fire hazards that can be caused by the charging of lithium-ion batteries.


    Lithium-ion batteries are lightweight, rechargeable batteries that power many electrical devices including our phones, laptops, cameras, e-cigarettes & mobility scooters. It is important all Tenants are aware of the dangers, when charging lithium-ion batteries.


    How to charge an electrical device safely

    • Always use the charger that came with the phone, tablet, e-cigarette or mobile device. If you need to buy a replacement, use a reputable shop.
    • Don’t leave devices continuously on charge after the charge cycle is complete – it’s best not to leave your phone plugged in overnight for example.
    • Do not cover chargers or charging devices – that includes your laptop power lead in bed.
    • When you travel, avoid keeping all your items containing lithium-ion batteries together, especially on a plane.


    Replace old, worn electrical items

    Don’t be tempted to try a DIY fix such as electrical tape – always replace worn or old electrical items such as faulty leads and extensions. If an electrical item is worn or old, it can present a fire risk.

    How to use & store your electric vehicle safely

    Electric scooters and bicycles are more popular than ever, most are charged by lithium batteries, which can be charged in the home.  We realise they are not only becoming more affordable but are a fantastic way for people to continue getting out and about. However, it’s important they are used and stored safely and don’t become a fire hazard.


    Do’s and Don’ts

    • Never leave your battery overnight or when you’re away from the property
    • Make sure your battery and charger meet UK safety standards
    • Always use the manufacturer-approved charger for the product. If you spot any signs of wear and tear or damage, buy an official replacement charger from a reputable seller.
    • Let your battery cool before charging
    • Unplug your charger once the battery is charged
    • Ensure you have smoke alarms in the area where you are charging
    • Make sure your mobility scooter / e-bike / electric wheelchair is not placed in the way of your exit whilst charging.

    White goods

    If your white goods (such as a fridge, washing machine, tumble dryer etc.) start making a funny noise, don’t ignore it – if you suspect there might be a problem, always unplug it and contact the manufacturer or contact us if we provided the appliance.


    Top tips

    • Regularly check whether your appliances are part of a recall programme by checking the White Goods safety and recall checker.
    • Clean filters washing machines and tumble dryers regularly. Empty the lint traps in your tumble dryer after every use.
    • Don’t leave dishwashers, washing machines or tumble dryers running unattended overnight or when you leave your property for an extended period of time.

    Further guidance

    South Wales Fire & Rescue Service provide excellent advice and guidance on their website that covers all aspects of safety at home and reducing risks.
    Visit their website
    Banner image
    Hide website

    Monmouthshire Housing Association Limited is registered in England & Wales and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority as an Industrial and Provident Society with charitable rules Registration No 30087R, and is registered with the Welsh Government as a Registered Social Landlord Registration No L144. Registered Office: Nant-Y-Pia House, Mamhilad Technology Park, Mamhilad, Pontypool, Monmouthshire, NP4 0JJ.
    © Monmouthshire Housing 2024
    Designed & built by