Your rent is one of the most important payments you will need to make but we appreciate that your circumstances can change.

If you ever fall behind with your rent, don’t ignore it. We appreciate that it can be a difficult and stressful situation, but telling us first can be the first step in the right direction.

If you’re struggling to pay your rent, please contact us straight away via 0345 677 2277 or You can also use Live Chat or Facebook Messenger. Our experienced & supportive Income Team are here to help.

Our Welfare & Wellbeing team

Our friendly Welfare & Wellbeing team offer all MHA tenants a free, full advice service on all things money-related including budgeting, debt, benefits & more.


Help with Universal Credit

Does Universal Credit affect you? Talk to us, we’re here to help.


Additional Support

We’ve gathered some information about other support that may be available to you such as Community Fridges & wellbeing resources.


Benefits, Grants & Discounts:

Welsh Government Discretionary Assistance Fund

Emergency Assistance Payments

For assistance in an emergency, when there is an immediate threat to health or wellbeing or if you are waiting for benefit payments.

If you are over the age of 16, you can apply for these payments if you need help to meet expenses due to an emergency or because of a disaster.

Individual Assistance Payments

To meet an urgent need that enables you to live independently in the community i.e. cooker, bed, furniture. To be eligible you must be in receipt of income-related welfare benefits; or due to leave an institution or care home within 6 weeks, and likely to be entitled to receive income-related welfare benefits on leaving.

How to apply:

Tel: 0800 859 5924

Online: Discretionary Assistance Fund (DAF): Apply | GOV.WALES

Budgeting Loan

You could get a Budgeting Loan to help pay for essential things like rent, furniture, clothes or hire purchase debts. The smallest amount you can borrow is £100.

Budgeting Loans are interest-free so you only pay back what you borrow. You normally have to repay the loan within 104 weeks. You can apply for a loan if you’ve been getting income-related benefits (excluding Universal Credit) for at least 26 weeks. 

Apply online: Budgeting Loans: How they work – GOV.UK (

Budgeting Advance

If you are receiving Universal Credit, or other benefits you may be able to get a budgeting advance to help with emergency household costs such as replacing a broken cooker.

How to apply:

Universal Credit helpline – 0800 328 5644

Contact your nearest Job Centre

Apply via your UC journal